A Winthrop Landmark Celebrates 100 Years On Saturday
The Charles M. Bailey Public Library in Winthrop celebrates a century of serving the community on Saturday.
According to the KJ, the library will hold an open host to celebrate its 100th anniversary on Saturday.
Some of the events include a children’s party at 10:30 a.m. hosted by the Winthrop Grade School fourth graders. Also, an all ages open house will begin at 12:30 and feature talks from town officials and a performance by the Winthrop Area Hand Bell Ringers. Photos and newspaper clips of the library's first 100 years will be on display.
The library, added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1985, opened on Dec. 2, 1916. Charles M. Bailey, an oilcloth magnate, donated the building. Before that, the library (known as the Winthrop Public Library) was located in the Packard Block building.