Best Road Trips In Maine
Travel and Leisure Magazine had a nice article on taking some of the best road trips in Maine. Most of these are designed for tourists but us Mainers can make these into some great day trips. Here's their list of the Best Road Trips in Maine.
1. U.S. Route 1: The 300-miles of road along the coast of Maine starts in Kittery and goes all the way to the Canadian border. They suggest stops along the way in Rockland, Camden, Belfast, Freeport, Wiscasset and Downeast Maine.
2. Grafton Notch Byway: This is a 20-mile stretch along Route 26 in Western Maine through the Grafton Notch State Park. Take the time to park and explore. You'll see waterfalls, great photo ops and hiking along the Bear River.
3. Rangeley Lakes Scenic Byway: Routes 17, 16 and 4 form a semi-circle around Rangeley Lake. You'll see some mountains that are part of the Appalachian Trail and the Height Of Land (an overlook of Mooselookmeguntic Lake).
4. Golden Road: This 96-miles of road is mostly unpaved in Maine's northwoods that are between Millinocket and the Canadian border. You'll see majestic scenes of Mount Kathadin, whitewater rafting, awesome fishing and campgrounds.
5. Million Dollar View Scenic Byway: This road trip starts in Danforth on U.S. Route 1 near Peakaboo Mountain and heads north. To the east, you'll see New Brunswick, Canada and to the west Mount Kathadin.
Tell us some of your favorite road trips in Maine.