Flagstaff, Maine is known as Maine's ghost town. The small former town in Somerset County was located near Eustis and about twenty miles north of Rangeley.

The town had gotten it's name of Flagstaff when Benedict Arnold camped there on his Quebec expedition and erected a flagstaff.

The town was abandoned and dismantled and also legally disincorporated in 1950 to allow construction of a hyrdoelectric dam on the Dead River. However, not all of the buildings

The result was a larger Flagstaff Lake and the settlement of Flagstaff being submerged.

Here's a song from Slaid Cleaves called 'Below' which features the story of Flagstaff.