Statistically Maine is the Dumbest State- SAY WHAT?
What are each of the states worst at? Some of this may be a little less than scientific, but some of it is very fact based. Maine is the dumbest state bases on low SAT scores quoted in this story. Check out what the other states have going on in regards to what they are worst at!
1. Alabama: highest rate of stroke (3.8%) (tied with Oklahoma)
2. Alaska: highest suicide rate (23.6 suicides per 100,000 people in 2004)
3. Arizona: highest rate of alcoholism
4. Arkansas: worst average credit score (636) Source.
5. California: most air pollution (15.2 micrograms per cubic meter)
6. Colorado: highest rate of cocaine use per capita (3.9% total population)
7. Connecticut: highest rate of breast cancer Source.
8. Delaware: highest abortion rate (27 per 1,000 women aged 15 to 44)
9. Florida: highest rate of identity theft (122.3 reports per 100,000 people)
10. Georgia: sickly based on highest rate of influenza
11. Hawaii –highest cost of living (tied with California) Source.
12. Idaho – lowest level of Congressional clout Source.
13. Illinois: highest rate of robbery (284.7 incidences per 100,000 people)
14. Indiana: rated the most environmentally unfriendly by NMI solutions Source.
15. Iowa: highest percentage of people age 85 and older (1.8 percent) (tied with three other states) Source.
16. Kansas: poorest health based on highest average number of limited activity days per month (3.5 days) Source.
17. Kentucky: most cancer deaths (227 per 100,000 people) (BONUS fact: Kentucky also has the highest rate of tobacco smokers – 25.6%)
18. Louisiana: highest rate of gonorrhea (264.4 reported cases per 100,000 people) Source.
19. Maine: dumbest state claim based on lowest average SAT score (1389) Source.
20. Maryland: highest rate of AIDS diagnosis (27.6 people per 100,000 people) Source.
21. Massachusetts: worst drivers claim based on highest rate of auto accidents Source.
22. Michigan: highest unemployment rate (13.6%)
23. Minnesota: highest number of reported tornadoes (123 in 2010) Source.
24. Mississippi: highest rate of obesity (35.3% of total population)
BONUS facts: Mississippi ranks poorly in the most number of categories. These include highest rate of child poverty (31.9%), highest rate of infant mortality (1.01%), lowest median household income ($35,078), highest teen birth rate (71.9 per 1,000 women aged 15 to 19) and highest overall rate of STDs.
25. Missouri: highest rate of bankruptcy (700 out of every 100,000 people) Source.
26. Montana: highest rate of drunk driving deaths (1.12 deaths per 100 million miles driven) Source.
27. Nebraska: Map creator does not provide a source.
28. Nevada: highest rate violent crime (702.2 offenses per 100,000 people). BONUS fact: Nevada also has the highest rate of foreclosure (one in 99 houses).
29. New Hampshire: highest rate of corporate taxes Source.
30. New Jersey: highest rate of citizen taxation (11.8%) Source.
31. New Mexico: antisocial claim based on lowest ranking in social heath policies Source.
32. New York: longest average daily commute (30.6 minutes) Source.
33. North Carolina: among the lowest average teacher salary Source.
34. North Dakota: ranked last in ugliest residents report as chosen by The Daily Beast. Source.
35. Ohio: nerdiest state claim based on highest number of library visits per capita (6.9) Source.
36. Oklahoma: highest rate of female incarceration
37. Oregon: highest rate of long-term homeless people
38. Pennsylvania: highest rate of arson deaths (55.56 annually) Source.
39. Rhode Island: highest rate of illicit drug use (12.5% of population) Source.
40. South Carolina: highest percentage of mobile homes (18.8%) Source.
41. South Dakota: highest rate of forcible rape 76.5 per 100,000
42. Tennessee: chosen most corrupt state by The Daily Beast. Source.
43. Texas: lowest high school graduation rate (78.3%) Source.
44. Utah: highest rate of of online porn subscriptions Source.
45. Vermont: infertility claim based on lowest birth rate of any state (10.6 births per 1,000) (tied with Maine) Source.
46. Virginia: highest number of alcohol-related motorcyle deaths Source.
47. Washington: most cases of bestiality (4 reported in 2010) Source.
48. West Virginia: highest rate of heart attack (6.5 percent of population)
49. Wisconsin: highest rate of binge drinking (23.2 percent of population)
50. Wyoming: highest rate of deadly car crashes (24.6 deaths per 100,000) Source.