Who Are the Richest People in Each State? — Dollars and Sense
The people at Wealth-X recently put some of the wealthiest people in the United States under their discriminating microscope in an attempt to flush out the richest people in each state. In order to qualify for their glorified rich list, individuals must be worth at least $30 million, a requirement easily met by all of the people on this year’s list.
The majority of the mega-rich often reside within close proximity to the companies that have put them on the wealthy map. For example, Bill Gates still calls Washington state his home, where he built his fortune with a little company called Microsoft.
Below is a list of the top 10 richest people and their states (for full list of every state, click here):
Richest People by State
- Washington: Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft, $64.5 billion
- Nebraska: Warren Buffet, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, $49.6 billion
- California: Lawrence Ellison, CEO of Oracle, $41.1 billion
- Arkansas: James Walton, chairman of Arvest Bank and son of Walmart founder Sam Walton, $33.6 billion
- Kansas: David Koch, vice-chairman of Koch Industries, $32.1 billion
- New York: Michael Bloomberg, New York City mayor and owner of Bloomberg L.P., $24.8 billion
- Nevada: Sheldon Adelson, Chairman and CEO of Las Vegas Sands, $20.2. billion
- Virginia: Forrest Mars Jr., part-owner of Mars Candy Company, $17 billion
- Texas: Michael Dell, CEO of Dell Inc., $14 billion
- Oregon: Phillip Knight, chairman of Nike Inc., $13 billion