It was a chaotic scene that unfolded at a Central Maine home over the weekend, according to the Kennebec Journal.

The newspaper is reporting that the fire, which happened on Saturday at 275 Front Street in Richmond, Maine, originally began in an RV motorhome. Reports say that someone went out to try and start the motorhome that was parked a couple feet away from the house. While attempting to start the motorhome, it caught fire.

After the RV caught fire, it spread up the sidewall of the house and eventually the entire structure was engulfed in flames. Chief of the Richmond Fire Department said that when the individual had tried to start the motorhome, it malfunctioned which cause the tailpipe to 'blow black smoke' before inevitably catching fire.

The KJ is reporting the the fire department got word of the fire at around ten past eight on Saturday morning. After Richmond crews had responded and started to battle the fire, they realized they were going to need some helpful reinforcements, so they called a second alarm.

It was at that point that fire crews from Topsham Fire, Gardiner Fire, Pittston Fire, Farmingdale Fire, Litchfield Fire, Woolwich Fire, Dresden Fire, Bowdoin Fire and Bowdoinham Fire responded to the scene to assist in the fire fight.

92 Moose logo
Get our free mobile app

The Kennebec Journal was reporting on Monday morning that the home, which appeared to be a structure built in the early 1900s, was a complete and total loss following the fire. Additionally, the motorhome was also listed as a total loss.

Fortunately, we haven't received word on any injuries received at the fire, either by residents or responding emergency crews. The article explains that it took responding crews just under two hours to extinguish the Richmond blaze.

This is a developing story and we will continue to keep it updated as more information becomes available to us.

24 of the Best Maine Family-Owned Businesses

More From 92 Moose