A 20-year-old Lewiston man is facing attempted murder and assault charges following a shooting Monday evening that left another man seriously injured.

According to WGME, Lewiston police responded to the area of Bartlett and Walnut streets at approximately 6 p.m. after receiving reports that shots had been fired.

According to investigators, witnesses reported seeing a brief confrontation involving several men shortly before the shooting took place.

Police said a 21-year-old man was struck by gunfire in the leg during the incident. The victim was taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for treatment.

Authorities said the man remained hospitalized in serious condition, although his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, the news station reported.

Following an investigation into the shooting, police identified 20-year-old Ethan Parrilla of Lewiston as the suspected shooter.

Parrilla was located, taken into custody and charged with attempted murder and elevated aggravated assault.

Police have not released additional information about what may have caused the confrontation or whether the victim and suspect knew one another before the incident.

Authorities also have not said whether any additional people are expected to be charged in connection with the shooting.

The investigation remains active and ongoing. Lewiston police are continuing to gather information and review the circumstances surrounding the altercation and shooting.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who has information that could assist investigators is encouraged to contact the Lewiston Police Department.

9 Maine Attractions Even Lifelong Residents Haven't Seen

Gallery Credit: Allyssa Marson

6 Maine Spots With Incredible Gluten-Free Food You Need to Try

Gallery Credit: Allyssa Marson

More From 92 Moose