According to a story on WGME, an ingredient in chewing gum is deadline to dogs.

Nashville's Christy Figlio recently lost her 3 year old Husky because of an artificial sweetener called Xylitol.

According to Pet Health Network, Xylitol is a sugar-free substance used as a sugar substitute. It’s commonly called a “sugar alcohol,” and is naturally found in certain fruit (in small amounts). Xylitol has gained recent popularity because it is sugar-free, reducing caloric intake for humans. It also is thought to protect cavities in people.

When a dog ingest Xylitol, there are two possible problems: hypoglycemia (i.e., a life-threateningly low blood sugar) and acute hepatic necrosis (i.e., severe liver failure).

Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include: weakness, staggering, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and racing heart.

If you suspect your pet has Xylitol poising, get help IMMEDIATELY.  The sooner vets can administer treatment, the better the odds your pet will recover.

More From 92 Moose