Maine High School Catches Fire Early Sunday Morning
According to WABI TV 5, crews responded to reports of a fire burning Sunday morning at Westbrook High School.
Officials say there was smoke and flames coming from a third floor classroom when they arrived. Fortunately, the blaze triggered the school's fire suppression sprinkler system which is what is being credited with preventing the fire to spread.
According to a Facebook post from the Westbrook Fire Department, The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature secondary to the improper use of an extension cord with a window air conditioner.
In addition to the Westbrook High School, Dr. Levesque Elementary School in the Aroostook County town of Frenchville, Maine partially burned down over the weekend as well. While an entire wing of that school was destroyed, no injuries were reported in that incident either.
See How School Cafeteria Meals Have Changed Over the Past 100 Years
LOOK: 40 Discontinued & Special Edition Kellogg's Cereals
CHECK IT OUT: See the 100 most popular brands in America
Do you have our free radio station app yet? If not, it's the perfect way to request a song, talk to the DJs, enter exclusive contests and to stay up to date with everything that's happening in and around Central Maine and the world. When you download it, make sure you turn on the push notifications so that we can send you exclusive content and local breaking news that you need to know about first. Just enter your mobile number below and we'll send a download link right to your mobile device. After that, you can download for free and immediately begin accessing all kinds of exclusive content tailored just for you. Give it a try and stay connected with us!