Smoke Detectors are Cheap Insurance to Help You Survive a House Fire
Last weekend there was a fire in Orrington. A man and three of his kids died in the fire. It appears they did not have working smoke detectors. It can be easy to forget to change the battery and if you have them near the kitchen they can be a pain. Mine used to go off every time I cooked something, so maybe better placement is the answer and not just taking the battery out. Bottom line is smoke detectors can save lives.
Investigators have finished talking with some of the neighbors in the area of this weekend’s deadly Orrington fire. None of them report hearing smoke detectors going off. It looks like the fire started with some cardboard left to close to the wood stove According to the National Fire Protection Association, families should have smoke/carbon monoxide detectors in every sleeping area and one on every level of the home.